Quarter I

foto: q-f.info - Juli 2003, Visualisierung: Hummel / v. Döring
mehr aktuelle Bilder der Planungen

offizielle Website "Quartier an der Frauenkirche" (QF):

Detailed Plan for the Area of Augustusstrasse - Töpfergasse - at the Frauenkirche

At the site of the former parking lot in front of the Hilton Hotel there was, until 1945, an enclosed block of houses which bounded the Neumarkt on the north side. The northwest corner house of this block, erected at the end of the 17th century at Augustusstrasse No. 4/corner Töpferstrasse , was consciously placed there as a point of viewing interest at the end of the Fürstenzuges or "Princes Way". In 1986 the new building housing the present day Hilton was erected on the north side of Töpferstrasse. Of the houses on the opposite side of the street, only house No. 12 had sufficient documentation to justify a reconstruction. This five- axis structure had retained its original state as it was at the time of its construction in 1713 even down to the ground installations. Such houses as this, with simple stucco facades, were frequently represented in the Neumarkt district and played the role of a modest foil for the more richly decorated buildings. The houses at Neumarkt 1 through 3 were among the most important urban achievements in this entire city quarter, and their facades, together with that of the bordering house at Augustusstrasse 8, are to be reconstructed. The "Weigelsche Haus" at Neumarkt No. 2 was erected in 1770, possibly by Samuel Locke. Christian Heinrich Eigenwillig was the architect of the adjacent corner house on the west side at Neumarkt 1. This house, built for the mayor Herr Borrmann, was enlarged in 1769/70 and became the Hotel Stadt Berlin, one of the best hotels in Dresden, in which , among others, Chopin and Dostoyewski lodged. Its curved facade in a segmented arch form which dominates the view of the Neumarkt from all of the side streets was one of the most successful architectural and urbanistic solutions of the reconstruction period after 1760.

Investor: italien Arturo Prisco (60)

Foto: 1930

Johanneum (links) und Augustusstraße, etwa 1929

The key elements underlying the decision to sell the area on the Neumarkt to Arturo Prisco were his investment concept, his credit standing and his references. In Munich, Prisco operates the largest private textile fair in the world. In Dresden, he has already refurbished several buildings true to their original status.

In the Neumarkt, Prisco would like to create a combination of houses rebuilt with historical accuracy together with carefully enlarged new ones. On the ground floor, small, high quality fashion shops would be housed, while in the interior courtyard there would be modern arcades with an international flair. In addition to about 40 apartments, there would also be a five star hotel (housed in the so-called "Hotel Stadt Berlin" building).

During the years 2001 and 2002 the cellars which still remained were excavated and initially were supposed to be integrated, at least to some extent, in the new construction. However, after the flood of 2002 all existing foundation walls in this land parcel were destroyed. In 2003, an architectural competition for this quarter took place which produced some results worth mentioning, but nevertheless also showed anew that many architects even today have not understood that when it comes to the Neumarkt, the key goal is to win back the lost city center of Dresden, not to create a monument to the architects themselves.

Thankfully, the facades of the buildings fronting on the Neumarkt (Augustusstrasse 8, Neumarkt 1 to 3) will be completely reconstructed by the client, Mr. Prisco. This is first and foremost thanks to the efforts of the GHND in addition to the receptiveness of the client, since without this effort, only the rebuilding of the so-called "Weigelsche Haus" was contemplated on the part of the city government. Towards the Töpferstrasse, a small scale modern building, done in a suitable style, will return a certain flair to the Neumarkt area. Unfortunately, however, the historic reconstructions will be limited to four - not even the precisely documented ground plan of the "Weigelsche Haus" will be carried out on the part of the city.

Nevertheless, seen in its entirety, the "Prisco Area" promises to become a new high quality part of Dresden. Although the project was really supposed to be finished before the Frauenkirche, a substantial construction delay has led to a situation where the opening cannot be reckoned with before the middle of 2006. As of the middle of May 2005, the basement floors are partly completed, but a large hole still yawns at the place where in a few months thousands of people will be following the dedication of the Frauenkirche. Only towards Töpferstrasse, at least, has the ground floor level been reached.


Januar 05

An den Kellergeschossen wird gearbeitet. Einige Architekten stellen Ihre Bauobjekte aus der Töpferstraße im Internet vor:
- www.rohdecan.de (siehe 2004 - Quartier an der Frauenkirche)
- www.wp-net.de (Wörner & Partner) (Abbildung ebd.)
- www.pfauarchitekten.de (Pfau Architekten)


"Prisco"- Areal auf dem heutigen Hotelparkplatz vor dem Hilton
(neben Johanneum und Frauenkirche). Aufn. vor 1945

Blick auf die Ausgrabungen des Prisco-Areals.
Genau zu erkennen ist der acht-eckigen Hof
des Weigelschen Hauses, welches als Leitbau
detailgetreu wiederaufgebaut werden soll.

Wettbewerb Töpfergasse

Bilder und alle Preisträger des Wettbewerbes (Dez. 2002) - Die Planungen sind z.T. mittlerweile geändert worden.
(im Bild links: ursprünglicher Entwurf für das Eckhaus Töpfergasse/ Augustuststraße von Klaus Bachmann)

The buildings:

The reconstruction of the entire curving house front on the south side of the "Prisco Area" , that is to say of the four baroque houses Neumarkt 1 - 3 and Augustusstrasse 2, is indispensable to the resurrection of the overall effect of the urban landscape. Here one sees a photo made before 1945, showing the view from the Judenhof in front of the great baroque freestanding staircase of the Johanneum to the Frauenkirche. In particular, Neumarkt 1, with its elegant curving façade by Christian Heinrich Eigenwillig (1769/70) is a key building for the entire square.


Haus Töpfergasse 12 (wird schräg gegenüber des jetzigen Haupteingangs vom Hilton liegen). Dieser frühbarocke Bau von 1713 hatte bis zur Zerstörung 1945 seinen Erbauungszustand behalten und ist zum Wiederaufbau dringend zu empfehlen. Nicht nur die sehr gute Quellenlage über dieses Gebäude, sondern auch der geschmackvolle, nobel-zurückhaltende Eindruck dieses Bürgerhauses machen eine Rekonstruktion besonders naheliegend.

Zeichnung einer möglichen Bebauung
auf dem Areal des ehem. Parkplatzes vorm Hilton

The Dresden Hilton (built from 1987-90 by the Swedish firm ABV, now known as NCC) in the last days of the German Democratic Republic, is getting some competition. Its sunny south side on Töpferstrasse will be covered by the Prisco area.


Erdmannsdorfsches Haus
Erdmannsdorfsches Haus,
Augustusstr. 8

This new building was configured in the "Lisenen" style which became typical after the end of the seven year's war, with a mansard roof and a triple axis central protruding section. Its ensemble effect with the Hotel "Stadt Berlin" is indispensable for the Facades on the square.
Goldener Ring,  Neumarkt 3
Goldener Ring, Neumarkt 3

This building, originally in the high baroque style, was erected after 1740 and following the destruction of 1760 was rebuilt in a simplified manner with Lisenen and mirror plaques. In the 19th century there occurred a fortunate intervention in the form of a remodeling of the facades in the spirit of the neorenaissance with girdle cornices and pilasters in the antique order, which succeeded on the Neumarkt in connection with the house lying opposite at Neumarkt 4.
An der Frauenkirche 1-3
An der Frauenkirche 1-3

These simple stucco buildings with mansard roofs from the period after 1760 constitute high quality examples of a simplified development at the Neumarkt. They were originally decorated with painted "mirror" plaque designs and set off from one another by colored walls.

Hotel Stadt Berlin
(left) Hotel Stadt Berlin Neumarkt 1

(right) Weigelsches Haus Neumarkt 2

Hotel Stadt Berlin

a new construction of 1769/70 counts as the most mature work of C.H. Eigenwillig, an advocate of academic classicism. Together with the buildings at Neumarkt 2 and 3, it marks the beginning of big city dignity for the Neumarkt and the Frauenkirche. This building was numbered among the good Dresden hotels (Chopin and Dostoyewski, among others, resided there). In 1813 it was enlarged by the architect Eigenwillig with a neighboring 4 axis house. The building displays no ornamentation at all. Eigenwillig, however, understood how to carry out the curve from the Augustusstrasse to the Neumarkt in an ideal manner with suitable Lisenen and building projections carried out in smooth flowing lines.

Weigelsches Haus
This prestigious seven axis building was remodeled in 1766 with three upper stories, a mezzanine and a high mansard roof surrounding an octagonal courtyard. The windows in the middle section of the three part central block are equipped with overmantels. Together with the house at Neumarkt 2 it presents a classic example of patrician house architecture from the period after 1760.