Quarter V/2

Heinrich Schütz Residence

Building project: Reconstruction of the Heinrich Schütz House, the Köhler House and a functional extention in a contemporary design vocabulary.

Function: Upper price senior citizens appartments with nursing and service areas + public areas in the ground floor and downstairs.

Diakonie-Stiftung Martinshof Rothenburg Oberlausitz

Architect: Eckard Feddersen (Berlin) - www.feddersen-architekten.de

General planning / Project management: www.kubus-generalplaner.de (Stuttgart)

Website: www.heinrich-schuetz-residenz.de

Among other things with Information leaflet (pdf), construction sign building-blackboard and a press bulletin (pdf)

Site plan


Groundplan - ground floor level

Drawing - Source: www.martinshof-diakoniewerk.de (without the scheduled new building)


Architect's design planned to be carried into effect.
Visualization: Feddersen Architekten



In the picture on the right: Proposed compromise of the GHND (not carried out, the builder however took into consideration the suggestion to follow the historic course of the street.)




Heinrich- Schütz- House

The electoral-saxonian court conductor Heinrich Schütz lived in this house (with intermissions) from 1629 till 1657. The building dates back to the 16th century when the Frauentor with the recently excavated barbican was demolished. It was erected about 1530 in connection with a renovation of the fortifications 1519-29. It was one of the first renaissance buildings ever in Dresden and in accordance with the new building regulations it had to be build as a solid stone building. (1491 Great city fire).

Although the house had been rebuilt several times, the gorgeous relief adorned plinth of the oriel at the corner of Frauenstraße, created around 1530 by Christoph Walter I, had survived until 1945. The carved sandstone portal with stunning rustic-style copings and oak leaf adorned lintel was created about 1630. All important parts of oriel as well as portal have been preserved.

1730 the house was augmented and provided with a mansard roof. The oriel got its stony balusters on the balcony 1730/31. In the 19th century the painting and adornment was removed, the mansard roof pulled down and replaced by a mistaken saddle roof.

Schütz- und Köhlersche House (marked blue) in the 1930ties

Architekturzeichnung des rekonstruierten Neumarktes aus den 50er Jahren mit Schützhaus
Architectural drawing of the reconstructed Neumarkt from the fifties with Schütz House (recognizable at the oriel)

Part of the children frieze at the bowfront of the oriel at Schütz House (February 06).


The Köhler House

Frauenstraße 14, portal of the Köhlersche House Photo before 1945 /
Photo: Sächsische Landes- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek

This Town house was most likely built by S. Locke after 1749 for the wine merchant, vineyard owner and master cooper J. Köhler. The double barrel vaults, one below the other for storeage of the wine casks were a rarity. Whereas the façade towards the Schumachergasse remained entirely plain, the middle ressaut in the Frauenstraße with the most sumptuous rocaille decor in Dresden was embellished. The basket-handle arch formed portal was held in very sweeping rococo shapes. The Janusfaced figure over the portal recess represents spring (a young woman) and autumn (an old man with a beard) in the vineyard, which is being tilled, alternatively harvested by the puttos. The head with the two faces is preserved as an original find. The iconography of the representations on bowfront and portal are considered to be an in civic architecture exceptionally varied and high-class example of portraying the profession. The sculptor is to be sought for in the entourage of Knöffler.

Janus head over the portal of the Köhler House (original find)


Frauenstraße at the corner of Schumachergasse
Oriel of the Köhler House Photo: 1888 / Photo Sächsische Landes- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek.
On the oriel puttos are manufacturing a wine barrel. Other puttos lap around the baluster of the balcony.

Rescued find from the one-time cooper oriel. Cooper is the occupational title of a craftsman, who manufactured wooden vessels for the storeage of wine. The owner of the house - J. Köhler - was wine merchant, vineyard owner und cooper master. He wove reminiscences of his profession into the decorations on his residence in the Neumarkt. (Foto: T. Kantschew, February 06).

Frauengasse 14, frontage with oriel towards Schumachergasse, Photo: 1910 Photo: Sächsische Landes- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek.
In the background the Salomonis Pharmacy is to be seen and next to it the postal building from the end of the 19th century, where the Hotel de Saxe stands now, plus two houses in the Landhausstraße.

Frauenstraße is one of the oldest streets in Dresden. It was mentioned as early as 1370 as platea beatae virginis (The Alley of the Blessed Virgin). 1396 it was named Frunwingasse, 1428 our beloved Frauwengasse because it led to the old gothic Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady), which was only reached when you had passed the Frauentor. In the 16th century it was called Große (Great) Frauenstraße. Not until 1862 the name was abridged to Frauenstraße. After 1945 the whole area was demolished. Until 2005 it was non existent. Then at last it was possible to reconstruct the street.